Welcome to my blog, enjoy reading.

Tuesday 14 February 2017

How three measly blogs generated over $50 million in sales

Did you think nobody makes any money from blogging?
Well, listen to this...

Over the last decade, I've helped build three of the most popular blogs in the world. Here they are:

Copyblogger.com

blog.kissmetrics.com

Boostblogtraffic.com



The last one is mine. The other two were clients.

Together, they have received over 200 million page views. Probably somewhere around $50 million in revenue. Maybe more.

To be clear, I wasn't working alone. I was working with superstars like Brian Clark, Sonia Simone, Neil Patel, and Hiten Shah. We worked together to create those results, and honestly, they deserve more of the credit than I do.

I also learned a ton working with them. Lessons you'll never see anyone write about on any of the social media blogs out there.

Today, I'd like to teach you one of those lessons.

You game? :-)

Okay then, here you go:

You ever wondered what blogging superstars are doing that you're not? Is there some secret strategy or software tool they are keeping to themselves?

In a word:

No.

They're just more serious than you are.

Think about it:

How much time do you have blocked off on your calendar every day dedicated to writing? Not just time when you might do a little writing, but real appointments where no one can reach you, no one can interrupt you, and absolutely nothing can stop you from writing?

None, right?

Okay, then. How much time have you spent researching the blogs of your competitors? I'm not just talking about their design or domain name. I'm talking about systematically studying their content, reading dozens or maybe even hundreds of posts, picking apart why each one is popular (or not) and looking for patterns.

Done much of that?

No, right? Probably because it's not much fun.

But here's the thing:

Most of the things you have to do to become a popular blogger are NOT fun. They're just good old-fashioned hard work.

It's like any profession.

Do you think CPAs ENJOY reading tax law? Do you think plumbers ENJOY slogging around in human waste? Do you think professors ENJOY grading papers?

No. It's just part of the job. So, they do it.

Same thing here. Problem is, somehow everyone has gotten it into their head that blogging is different. They think it's all rainbows and unicorns and sitting on the beach, sipping martinis.

It's not. It's years of mind-numbing study, followed by years of mind-numbing labor.

I'm not saying you have to hate it. I don't.

I probably enjoy 80% of what I do. I tolerate the other 20%, because it's a part of the package.

But I get up and do all of it every day. Because that's my job.

If you want to be successful, you have to start thinking about it the same way. You have to stop looking at it as a hobby and start looking at it as your future profession.

Or put more simply, take it seriously.

Are you willing to make that commitment? Are you willing to do what it takes?

If you are, click here to take the pledge:

I hereby pledge to take my blog seriously

It's totally private. No one will know but you and me.

I'll have another lesson for you tomorrow. Talk with you soon.

Jon

PS: You might be reading this thinking, "Well, that's easy for you to say, Jon. You're already a superstar, so it's easy for you to block off time to work on stuff. You don't have a job to deal with."

And it's true. I don't.

But I used to. Read this:

How to Quit Your Job, Move to Paradise, and Get Paid to Change the World

It's the story of how I became a popular blogger, and it's maybe the best post I've ever written. Went viral and got over 1 million page views and counting.

Read it, and then come back and take the pledge. I'll talk with you again tomorrow.

 

 

If you no longer wish to receive our emails or wish to update your email preferences, click the link below.  Note: If you are a paid subscriber to Serious Bloggers Only or Guest Blogging, please submit a support ticket to change your email.

 Unsubscribe from emails

Smart Blogger P.O. Box 2034 Cedar Park, Texas 78630 United States (877) 870-6957

0 comments: